Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mmm...Sausages


We stuck with a classic last night – Italian sausage sandwiches. These little easy-to-prepare sandwiches require: hot/spicy Italian sausages, good bakery-fresh crusty rolls and (I prefer) mozzarella cheese. They are also really good when topped with sautéd red/yellow bell peppers and onions.

Joe thinks everything tastes better on the barbeque and in most cases I think he’s right. So, we simply boiled the little sausages in some water on the stove until tender and juicy. Then Joe threw ‘em on the grill, just long enough to make those beautiful marks on the outside. We also toasted the rolls in the oven with the cheese inside to make it all gooey and delicious.

To accompany, we had a salad and Trader Joe’s buttermilk garlic mash potato chips.

It’s a good idea to have these Italian sausages on hand in the freezer. On our latest jaunt to Costco (that’s right, we became members a few weeks ago – finally!) we picked up a 14-pack for about $8. We just take a few out of the freezer before we go to work and they’re ready to go when we get home.

My mom has made these simple sandwiches for years. She INSISTS on using Panera sourdough rolls. I don’t blame her, they really are the best!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Italian sausage sandwiches are really the best. You can't go wrong when you serve them. I don't know anyone who doesn't like them.