Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Very Own Garden!

I have wanted my own vegetable garden ever since I can remember, and last Sunday, this dream became a reality. Joe and I went to the expansive H&H Nursery to pick out our plants. We finally decided on lettuce, red and yellow bell peppers, pole beans and five different tomato varieties. There is something very romantic about planting a garden with your significant other. We created something special together and now we're going to watch it grow.

1. We dug out this approximately 3" x 15" plot of land between our back patio and driveway.
2. We laid down porous black gardening paper to help keep the weeds to a minimum.
3. We then mixed high-quality, nutrient-rich vegy soil into the existing dirt.

4. Joe leveled the soil with a rake.
5. I watered the fresh dirt to keep the dust down and to make it easier to shape.
6. We measured out six rows and created mounts of dirt for the plants to sit on. This helps with sun exposure and water drainage.
7. Mostly for style, we opted for these cool bamboo tomato supports. Much nicer and sturdier than those standard wire ones.
8. And finally, we planted! I'll be sure to post updates when we get our first edible!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Now I can really see how it looks.